For over 100 years, the Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) has overseen the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, industrial banks, savings associations, trust companies, foreign banking organizations, business and industrial development corporations, money transmitters, issuers of payment instruments and travelers checks, and premium finance companies. The Department also administers the Local Agency Security Program.
On July 1, 2013, the Department of Financial Institutions and the Department of Corporations will become the Department of Business Oversight. Learn more.
DFI Important Notices
- 06/11/2013 - DFI Monthly Bulletin - May 2013
- 05/28/2013 - Commissioner Barnes to Serve as CSBS District V Representative
- 05/22/2013 - Message from DFI Commissioner Teveia R. Barnes: Governor's Reorganization Plan
- 05/22/2013 - California Homeowner Bill of Rights: Servicers with Fewer than 175 Foreclosures
DFI News and Announcements
- 05/24/13 - PR 13-03 Control of Arrowhead Central Credit Union Returned to Members
- 04/02/13 - PR 13-02 State Agencies Highlight the Importance of Financial Literacy During the Month of April - California Financial Literacy Month
- 03/14/13 - PR 13-01 California State Senate Confirms Teveia R. Barnes as Commissioner of Department of Financial Institutions
Final Orders and Opinions
- Recognizing Elder Financial Abuse, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- FDIC Money Guide for Young Adults and Teens
- FDIC National Survey of Unbanked and Underbanked Households
- NEW! FDIC Money Smart for Small Business
Where Do I Find?...
- Keep Your Home California Fraud Alert: Homeowners will never be asked to pay a fee for any Keep Your Home California program. If you are asked to pay a fee or suspect fraud or misrepresentation related to a Keep Your Home California program or representative, you are encouraged to contact our Compliance unit at 916-326-8686 or by email at email@example.com.
- California Agencies Issue Alert on Mortgage Loan Modification Scams.
- California Department of Corporations Advises Caution for Payday Loan Consumers