November 23, 2007
DFI Warning Notice - Fraudulent Checks: Alta Alliance Bank
Fraudulent checks drawn on Alta Alliance Bank are reportedly in circulation in conjunction with a mystery shopper employment scam. The fraudulent checks are being received in the mail from "Shopping Disbursements" and contain a letter notifying recipients that they have been pre-selected for a mystery shopper opportunity. The letter lists the breakdown of the check amount, including Western Union and Money Gram transfer amounts; as well as instructions to contact the Shopping Disbursements office upon receipt of the check.
Counterfeit checks may contain some of the following characteristics:
- The toll free number, 1-877-446-3112, which is not a valid Alta Alliance Bank telephone number
- Counterfeit checks seen to date have been in the amount of $4,998
- The following text is printed at the middle left edge of counterfeit checks: "Payable at Alta Alliance Bank, Oakland CA"
- Counterfeit checks may contain the following text printed within the top border in capital letters:
- "security notice: red padlocks are heat sensitive and change color when rubbed
- "the face of this document has a colored background on white paper"
- "Operator I.D. Cu0068147" is printed at the center right edge
- "Office AU# 0071149" is printed beneath the "Operator I.D." text at the center right edge
If you have any questions or have seen any of these checks, please contact the following:
Sedrick A. Tydus
Chief Operating Officer
Alta Alliance Bank
Phone: (510) 899-7518